LINKS TO GET YOUR MONEY
If you are unemployed, most people trying to get unemployment through their state are being stonewalled at this time and can't even get through to the unemployment office. The CARES Act has provisions for those unemployed as a result of the virus to receive $600 per week from the federal government in addition to the base amount that a newly unemployed worker would receive from the state. Benefits have been extended an extra 13 weeks from 26 to 39 weeks. There is also temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance available through the end of 2020 which includes "gig workers and freelancers." Click HERE.
Information We've Gathered
Coronavirus stimulus payments will begin to be distributed in mid-April, but Americans without direct deposit accounts set up with the IRS may not receive checks until August, according to a House Ways and Means Committee memo first reported by CNN and confirmed by Axios.
Why it matters: The IRS estimates that only about 70 million of the roughly 150 million Americans eligible for the payments have direct deposit information on file, according to CNN.
Details: The IRS will begin depositing payments to 60 million Americans in mid-April, according to the memo. But paper checks won't start being mailed until the week of May 4, and they'll go out at a rate of 5 million checks per week.
That rate would mean the final paper checks would be distributed 20 weeks later — the week of Aug. 17.
Get Your Stimulus Check Faster
1. If your 2019 taxes have been filed you will get preference. (Even though they'll use 2018, your 2019 tax return will put you at the front of the line.)
2. Those who have direct deposit set up with their bank when filing their taxes will get it quicker.
(It has been said that the checks would arrive in 3 weeks. Remember, this is the government. Examples: 2001 Stimulus Checks Mailed and Arrived in 6 Weeks, 2008 Stimulus Checks Mailed and Arrived in 3 Months.)
3. Make sure your bank account and routing information are up to date.
SMALL BUSINESSES, NON-PROFITS, & CHURCHES
Paycheck Protection Program - Forgivable Loan (If you follow the guidelines which means you won't have to pay the money back.)
These are loans that are fully guaranteed by the Federal Government and administered by the Small Business Administration through your bank. The loans can cover wages, commissions, salary, health benefits, etc.
1. You must call your bank to get the Paycheck Protection Program Inquiry Form. This should be a very brief form that you can fill out online. If your bank for some reason does not provide it, contact the Small Business Administration HERE.
2. So that you can know what to expect after your initial inquiry, see how the Paycheck Protection Borrower Application Form looks HERE.
*Verizon Small Business Recovery Fund (First Round of Applications are Due by Tomorrow).
Who is eligible? LISC will use the Verizon funding to provide grants of up to $10,000 to businesses facing immediate financial pressure because of COVID-19—especially entrepreneurs of color, women-owned businesses and other enterprises in historically underserved communities who don’t have access to flexible, affordable capital.
1. What it can be used for? Paying rent and utilities, Meeting payroll, Paying outstanding debt to vendors, Other immediate operational costs
2. See the page HERE. (Applications for the 1st round of grants must be completed by April 4th, 11:59 PM ET. We will continue to accept applications for the 2nd round.)